TRANSLATION: Mrs. Chris Seidler. Revised by Peter Friedrich.
DATE OF PUBLICATION OF THE ORIGINAL VALID
GENERAL APPEARANCE :
The Rottweiler is a medium to large size, stalwart dog, neither heavy nor light and neither leggy nor weedy. His correctly proportioned, compact and powerful build leads to the conclusion of great strength, agility and endurance.
IMPORTANT PROPORTIONS :
The length of the body, measured from the point of the sternum (breast-bone) to the ischiatic tuberosity, should not exceed the height at the withers by, at most, 15 %.
BEHAVIOUR / TEMPERAMENT :
The Rottweiler is good-natured, placid in basic disposition, very devoted, obedient, biddable and eager to work. His appearance is natural and rustic, his behaviour self-assured, steady and fearless. He reacts to his surroundings with great alertness and at the same time even-tempered.
HEAD CRANIAL REGION :
Skull : Of medium length, relatively broad between the ears. Forehead line moderately arched as seen from the side. Occipital bone well developed without being conspicuous.
Stop: Stop relatively strong. Frontal groove not too deep.
HEAD FACIAL REGION :
Nose : Well developed, more broad than round with relatively large nostrils, always black.
Muzzle : The foreface should appear neither elongated nor shortened in relation to the cranial region. The ratio between the length of the muzzle and the length of the skull is about 1 to 1,5. Straight nasal bridge, broad at base,
moderately tapered. Straight nasal bridge, broad at base, moderately tapered.
Lips : Black, close fitting, corner of the mouth not visible, gum as dark as possible.
Jaws/Teeth : Upper and lower jaw strong and broad. Strong, complete dentition (42 teeth) with scissor bite, the upper incisors closely overlapping the lower incisors.
Cheeks : Zygomatic arches pronounced.
Eyes : Of medium size, almond-shaped, dark brown in colour. Eyelids close fitting.
Ears : Medium-sized, pendant, triangular, wide apart, set on high. With the ears laid forward close to the head, the skull appears o be broadened.
Neck : Strong, of fair length, well muscled, slightly arched, clean, free from throatiness, without excessive dewlap.
Back : Straight, strong, firm.
Loins : Short, strong and deep.
Croup : Broad, of medium length, slightly rounded. Neither flat nor falling away.
Chest : Roomy, broad and deep (approximately 50 % of the shoulder height) with well developed forechest and well sprung ribs.
Belly : Flanks not tucked up.
TAIL : In natural condition, strong, level in extension of the upper line; while paying attention, when excited or while moving it can be carried upward in a light curve; at ease may be hanging. While positioned along the leg, the tail reaches approximately to the hocks or is a bit longer.
LIMBS FOREQUARTERS :
Seen from the front, the front legs are straight and not placed too closely to each other. The forearm, seen from the side, stands straight and vertical. The slope of the shoulder blade is about 45 degrees to the horizontal.
Shoulders : Well laid back.
Upper arm : Close fitting to the body.
Forearm : Strongly developed and muscular.
Pasterns : Slightly springy, strong, not steep.
Front feet : Round, tight and well arched; pads hard; nails short, black and strong.
Seen from behind, legs straight and not too close together. When standing free, obtuse angles are formed between the dog’s upper thigh and the hip bone, the upper thigh and the lower thigh, and the lower thigh and metatarsal.
Upper thigh: Moderately long, broad and strongly muscled.
Lower thigh: Long, strongly and broadly muscled, sinewy.
Hocks: Sturdy, well-angulated hocks; not steep.
Hindfeet: Slightly longer than the front feet. Toes strong, arched, as tight as front feet.
GAIT : The Rottweiler is a trotting dog. In movement, the back remains firm and relatively stable. Movement harmonious, steady, full of energy and unrestricted, with good stride.
SKIN : Skin on the head : overall tight fitting. When the dog is alert, the forehead may be slightly wrinkled.
COAT: HAIR : The coat consists of a top coat and an undercoat. The top coat is of medium length, coarse, dense and flat. The undercoat must not show through the top coat. The hair is a little longer on the hindlegs.
COLOUR : Black with clearly defined markings of a rich tan on the cheeks, muzzle, throat, chest and legs, as well as over both eyes and under the base of the tail.
SIZE AND WEIGHT :
Height at withers: For males is 61 – 68 cm.
61 – 62 cm is small
63 – 64 cm medium height
65 – 66 cm is large
67 – 68 cm very large
Weight: Approximately 50 kg.
Height at withers: For bitches is 56 – 63 cm.
56 – 57 cm is small
58 – 59 cm medium height
60 – 61 cm is large
62 – 63 cm very large
Weight: Approximately 42 kg.
Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.
General appearance: Light, weedy, leggy appearance. Light in bone and muscle.
Head : Head: Hound-type head. Narrow, light, too short, long, coarse or excessively molossoid head; excessively broad
skull, (lack of stop, too little stop or too strong stop). Very deep frontal groove.
Foreface : Foreface: Long, pointed or too short muzzle (any muzzle shorter than 40 percent of the length of the head is too
short); split nose; Roman nose (convex nasal bridge) or dish-faced (concave nasal bridge); acquiline nose; pale or
spotted nose (butterfly nose).
· Lips : Pendulous, pink or patchy; corner of lips visible.
· Jaws : Narrow lower jaw.
· Bite : Bite: Pincer bite. Molars of the underjaw not standing in one line.
· Cheeks : Strongly protruding.
· Eyes : Light, deep set. Also too full and round eyes; loose eyelids.
· Ears : Set on too low, too high, heavy, long, slack or turned backwards. Also flying ears or ears not carried symmetrically.
· Neck : Too long, thin, lacking muscle. Showing dewlap or throaty.
· Body : Too long, too short or too narrow.
· Back : Too long, weak; sway back or roach back.
· Croup : Too sloping, too short, too flat or too long.
· Chest : Flat-ribbed or barrel-shaped. Too narrow behind.
· Tail : Set on too high or too low.
· Forequarters : Narrow or crooked front legs or not parallel standing, Steep shoulder placement. Loose or out at elbow. Too long, too short or too straight in upper arm. Weak or steep pastern. Splayed feet. Too flat or too arched toes. Deformed toes. Light coloured nails.
· Hindquarters : Flat thighs, hocks too close, cow hocks or barrel hocks. Joints with too little or too much angulation. Dewclaws. Skin : Wrinkles on head.
· Coat : Soft, too short or long. Wavy coat; lack of undercoat.
· Colour : Markings of incorrect colour, not clearly defined. Markings which are too spread out.
• General appearance: Too molossoid type and heavy
• Skin: Skin at the head strongly wrinkled, strong wrinkles
in the area of the forehead, the muzzle and the cheeks,
• Gait: Sluggish action while trotting.
• Aggressive or overly shy dogs.
• Any dog clearly showing physical or behavioural abnormalities shall be disqualified.
• Behaviour: Anxious, shy, cowardly, gun-shy, vicious, excessively suspicious, nervous animals.
• General appearance: Distinct reversal of sexual type, i.e. feminine dogs or masculine bitches.
• Teeth: Overshot or undershot bite, wry mouth; lack of one incisive tooth, one canine, one premolar or one molar.
• Eyes: Entropion, ectropion, yellow eyes, different coloured eyes.
• Tail: Kink tail, ring-tail, with strong lateral deviation, natural bobtail. • Hair: Definitely long or wavy coat.
• Colour: Dogs which do not show the typical Rottweiler colouring of black with tan markings. White markings.
Any dog clearly showing physical or behavioural abnormalities shall be disqualified.
• Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles
fully descended into the scrotum.
• Only functionally and clinically healthy dogs, with breed
typical conformation, should be used for breeding.